Emigrate To Australia On A Retirement Visas

Emigrate To Australia On A Retirement Visa

You might be eligible for this visa if you meet:

  • the age of 55 or over
  • State sponsored for the 405 - Takes about a week to secure approval
  • No dependents - grown up children are not classes as dependent
  • income and investment funds available
  • Health & character requirements


You must be 55 years of age or older while your partner has no age limits.


We must arrange sponsorships by a state or territory (other than the Australian Capital Territory).

  • Australian Capital Territory
  • New South Wales
  • Northern Territory
  • Queensland
  • South Australia
  • Tasmania
  • Victoria
  • Western Australia


It is worth being careful on this point as the Australian Government and others show a headline figure required of AUD 750K or AUD 500k for regional living but the truth is that is only half the number required.

You must have assets (or if you have a partner, your combined assets) valued at least AUD 1.0m for retirement to a regional area broken down in two parts AUD 500K to be invested in a State bond and $500K available after the investment or AUD 1.5m if you wish to live in the metropolitan areas in state.  This is broken down as before but in two parts of AUD750 000 each.

The assets must be:

  • legally owned and lawfully acquired by you (or you and your partner)
  • capable of and available for, transfer to Australia.

Exception: If you intend to live in regional Australia you must have assets (or if you have a partner, your combined assets) valued at least AUD500 000.

All assets listed must be held for two years before lodging your application, unless they are related to superannuation, pension and/or inheritance. If you are intending to sell assets for your move to Australia, we recommend that you wait until after your visa is granted. If you need to sell assets to meet visa requirements, you should carefully consider whether you will be able to finance your ongoing stay in Australia. The assets are in addition to the funds required to make the designated investment.

This asset test only applies to new Investor Retirement visa. If you choose to reapply for your visa you do not need to meet the assets test again and the visa is renewed every four years.


You (or combined with your partner) must have access to a minimum net income of AUD $65K per year.

If you intend to live in regional Australia you (or combined with your partner) must have access to a minimum net income of AUD50 000 per year.  We are able to provide details of these areas.

This income test applies each time you apply for an Investor Retirement visa (subclass 405). If you choose to reapply for your visa you will need to show that your net income still meets this requirement.

Designated Investment

You must have made a designated investment of at least AUD750 000 in your name (or in the names of you and your partner), in the state or territory in which you have been sponsored. The funds for the designated investment are in addition to your asset requirements.

If you intend to live in regional Australia you must have made a designated investment of at least AUD500 000 in your name (or in the name of you and your partner) in the state or territory in which you have been sponsored.

A designated investment must be maintained for the duration of the Investor Retirement visa (subclass 405). The amount of the designated investment decreases by AUD250 000 the first time you reapply for the visa and then remains constant thereafter. If you reapply for your Investor Retirement visa (subclass 405) a designated investment of AUD500 000 must be made and maintained. If you live in regional Australia a designated investment of AUD250 000 must be maintained.

Health insurance

You must have evidence that you and your partner hold an adequate health insurance package for the period of your intended stay in Australia.

For health insurance to be considered adequate, it must:

  • be fully comprehensive
  • provide coverage that is at least equivalent to Medicare (including coverage of 85 per cent of costs for hospital, emergency, and general practitioner services)
  • provide coverage for pharmaceuticals.

It is preferable that the policy is with an Australian insurer; however alternative arrangements that meet the above requirements can be accepted. Alternative arrangements, with an overseas insurer, will need individual detailed examination of the insurance policy and may result in processing delays.

If you do not maintain adequate health insurance it may result in the refusal of future visa applications.

Health requirements

You must meet certain health requirements. The results of your health examinations are generally valid for 12 months.

This applies to you and any dependent family members included in the application.

You are able to organise your health examinations upfront before lodging a visa application.

Character requirements

You must meet certain character requirements. If you are 16 years of age or older, you must be prepared to provide a police certificate from each country you have lived in for 12 months or more, during the past 10 years, since you turned 16 years of age. Do not arrange for police certificates until we ask you to.

Debts to the Australian Government

You must have no outstanding debts to the Australian Government or have arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian Government before this visa can be granted.


Secure assistance with these visas is advised due to the sums involved and what is at risk.  There will also be HRMC tax to take into account and ways that need to be employed to remove or reduce any unnecessary tax burdens.


We Love Emigration Law As It Allows People To Live The Life They Always Wanted Without Limitations

Make Your Dreams Come True


- Approved lawyers and MARA Agents
- 99% Success Rate
- 94% of clients would refer a friend or relative
- Expert knowledge of the Immigration Dept.


Dedicated to providing the highest standards of service and great results all at the most competitive prices.

Thank you for everything you were amazing and I would not have been able to secure my visa without you. I am really excited about emigrating it is really happening now. Jake and Holly are both looking forward to their new school who have been really helpful. Julie Windsor
Dear Jack, I would like to thank you and your team for all your hard work. I always knew securing a visas to start my new business was going to require effort. I am so pleased with myself that I never attempted this on my own looking back with hindsight.Thank you, Peter Loftus

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Let Our Experts Help You Today - Take Our Free Assessment

Lawyers, ex-Immigration Officers, Accountants, Pension experts, Tax specialist, Bankers and Relocation consultants all working together to ensure your migration plans are a complete success.

Haskew Law