Our Guide To Australian ETA Visas
An ETA is an electronically stored authority for travel to Australia and is accessible by airlines, travel agents and Australian border agencies. It's required that you obtain an ETA if you intend to travel to Australia.
An ETA is 100% electronic, which allows you to visit Australia without the need to apply through a departmental office for a traditional paper visa. You should always try to apply in advance, no later than 24 hours in advance of your departure. On occasion, some people are not approved to enter Australia and they must contact an Australian embassy. For those who wait to apply for a visa until the last minute or at the airport, those not approved could run into trouble and be denied boarding by the airline.
You do not need to hold a flight ticket to secure an ETA visa
To avoid the hassle of missing your flight, it's recommended you purchase your visa in advance, so that you can rest assured that your visa status will be approved. If by chance it is not, we will give you your money back and tell you your best course of action. Deciding which visa you need to visit Australia depends on how long you will be visiting the country and whether or not you plan on working. If you plan on working in the country, then you will need to look at other visa options we have available.
If you are visiting Australia for tourism, and your trip is 3 months or less, a tourist subclass 601 visa (ETA) is your best option. If you intend on visiting for basic non-working business needs then you are required to purchase a subclass 601 business ETA visa.
Multiple Entry and Duration of the ETA Visa
An ETA allows multiple trips into Australia, so long as the maximum stay on any given visit is less than 3 months or 90 days. If you leave for another country, then you may return to Australia as long as your ETA and passport are still valid. However, It is up to immigration officials to determine if you are trying to circumvent the Australian immigration law, so we recommend contacting us if you are concerned with returning too soon. A general guideline is you need to be out of the country for 2+ weeks before returning, otherwise, you may look into obtaining a subclass 600 visa instead of an ETA, which may permit you to stay longer in Australia. Just note, that the cost is $115.00.
Can I change to another visa while in Australia?
No, you cannot change visa types while onshore in Australia, you may only apply to extend your visa. If you are interested in applying for a permanent visa or another temporary visa, such as a Working Holiday Maker Visa, the application must be made offshore.
You must not have any criminal convictions, for which the sentence or sentences (whether served or not) are for a total period of 12 months duration or more, at the time of travel to, and entry into, Australia. If you do have criminal convictions that are a concern to you, then it's best to apply for a subclass 600 tourist visa.
Children Travelling To Australia
Children of all ages, who are travelling with you, will need to obtain their own ETA visa, even if they are named on your Passport.
You are strongly advised to take out private health/travel insurance to cover yourself in Australia as medical treatment can be very expensive. There is bilateral agreement with Australia to allow UK nationals to receive free emergency medical treatment paid for by the NHS. So there is some cover available to deal with worst case scenarios.
Summary Of Conditions
Conditions of an ETA are:
- It is your responsibility to know what your visa allows you to do while in Australia.
- After your ETA is granted you are able to enter and leave Australia as many times as you need to during a 12 month period, from the date the ETA is granted or until the expiry date of your passport, whichever is earlier.
- You can stay in Australia for a maximum of three months on each visit.
- You must not study for more than three months.
- You must be free from tuberculosis.
- You must not have any criminal convictions for which you have been sentenced for a total combined period of 12 months or more, whether or not you served the sentence/s.
- It is illegal to work on an ETA. Whilst on an ETA you have no right to work in Australia. You can only undertake business visitor activities such as the undertaking of business enquiries and contractual negotiations or attending conferences.
How To Apply For Your ETA
Complete our form at the top of the page and we shall secure your ETA as quickly as possible. Please remember every traveller in your party will require and ETA so please complete an application for each member of your party.
Figures On Tourism In Australia
There were 701,300 visitor arrivals during April, an increase of 14.8 percent relative to the same period of the previous year. This brings us to 8.46 million visitor arrivals for year ending April 2017, an increase of 9.5 per cent relative to the previous year. This represents an extra 731,000 visitors on the previous year.
International visitors to Australia spent a record $39.8 billion in the year ending March 2017, up 5%.
Click to View Chart Australia Tourism and Download
Ten Fun Facts About Australia
1. Australia is the 6th largest country by size, a massive 2.9 million square miles.
2. While it’s huge, the population is only 22.6 million.
3. The closest American state in population is New York, which has 19.6 million people, yet Australia is more than 53 times its size.
4. Texas is the largest state in the continental United States, but the largest state in Australia, Western Australia is more than 3 times its size but Texas has 13 times as many people.
5. You can fly from Perth to Melbourne faster than you can fly from one end of Western Australia to the other.
6. The Great Victoria Desert, just ONE of Australia’s barren areas is larger than the United Kingdom. You could lose an entire country in Australia and never know it.
7. A single cattle ranch in South Australia is larger than the state of Israel.
8. Don’t think Australia gets snow? Well, it’s all relative. The area of Australia that is covered by snow in winter is larger than the area of Switzerland.
9. The longest fence in the world is in Australia, and it runs for over 5,530 kilometres.
10. The world’s longest golf course, measuring more than 850 miles long is located in Australia.
ETA For Australia
Name: Electronic Travel Authorisation
Description: These are usually secured by your travel agent or airline at a pinch. They are not a visitor visa as some people believe but simply a way of Australia pre-screening passengers arriving in their country who otherwise do not require any visa for the purpose of their travel. Make sure you have yours before you fly.