The second key roadblock to Canadian visas, along with criminal inadmissibility, is medical inadmissibility.
Applicants may be denied a visa on medical grounds if:
- The health or safety of the Canadian population at large might be endangered; or
- The applicant might create excessive demand on government social or health services.
For family sponsorship visas, the "excessive demand" component is waived for the sponsor's spouse or partner and their dependent children. Even so, applicants may still be refused if their condition endangers public health or safety.
Medical screenings are a mandatory element of the application process, and all applicants must submit screening results produced by a Canadian government approved medical examiner. Screenings are generally limited to standard physical exams, chest x-rays, and blood & urine tests, but prior medical records and the applicant's mental health are also reviewed.
When determining whether an applicant is medically inadmissible, the medical examiner must bear in mind the nature, severity, and likely duration of whatever condition the person is suffering, in addition to:
- Danger of contagion;
- Symptomatic behaviour that may endanger public safety; and
- Whether Canadian nationals might be deprived of social or health services as a result of foreseeably increased demands caused by admission of such applicants.
Note that the valid reasons for denial of a visa are broad and elastic, and are not limited to a set list of particular ailments or conditions. Medical screenings are considered on a case-by-case basis. This means that anecdotal evidence about other applicants with similar conditions is unlikely to be helpful in determining the likely outcome of your own circumstances.
Nonetheless, our expert emigration advisors may be able to provide some guidance if you believe these issues are germane to your case. The quickest way to get answers is to submit our short form for a free consultation.
Finding The Right Visa For You
We Love Canadian Emigration Law As It Allows People To Live The Life They Always Wanted Without Limitations
Make Your Dreams Come True
- Approved lawyers and ICCRC Agents
- 99% Success Rate
- 94% of clients would refer a friend
- Expert Knowledge of Immigration Control
Dedicated to providing the highest standards of service and great results all at the most competitive rates.