The Last Remaining Relative Visa Explained
We provide guidance and support to those who wish to join their family in Australia. With over 20 years of experience assisting families to become reunited, we understand how important family is to our clients and will look at all your emigration options before deciding on the right visa for you.
To find out more complete our enquiry form and we will be happy to assist you further.
If your only near relatives are residing permanently in Australia, you may be able to apply for a Remaining Relative Visa. This visa enables persons in these circumstances to move and live in Australia permanently, provided your near relative is willing to sponsor you and all your family members that are included in your application.
WHO CAN SPONSOR ME?
Being a sponsorship based visa, applicants must be sponsored by their parent, brother, sister, step-sibling or one of their partners. Your sponsor must be above the age of 18 and be a settled Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen. However, there are circumstances where a child under the age of 18 can be your sponsor.
It is also a requirement that your sponsor agrees to provide you and any family member included on your application, support, accommodation, and financial assistance over the first two years of your Australian residency.
AM I ELIGIBLE FOR A 115 OR 835 VISA?
In order to qualify for either visa, you will need to demonstrate that you meet the following minimum eligibility requirements:
- Have an eligible sponsor (see above)
- You must also have a commitment by a person or organisation prepared to provide you with an Assurance of Support – a legal document that assures the Australian Government that you will not rely on the government for two years after you enter Australia on the visa
- You can have up to three people provide an assurance of support for you.
- Your assurer must lodge a bond, in the form of money, with the Department. The bond is refunded to the assurer, less any social security payments you have received, two years after you first enter Australia on this visa.
- Your (and your partner’s) only near relative lives in Australia
- Meet the health and character requirements
- If you are over the age of 18, you will be required to sign an Australian Values Statement
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE?
As the Government only provides a limited number of spaces each financial year for Remaining Relative visas, waiting times for the visa are very long. Applications are processed in the order they are lodged and once the threshold has been reached, no more visas will be granted in that financial year. Each year more cases are filed than completed meaning the waiting time is now several years and getting longer!
FEES & COSTS
The cost of this visa is priced from $3,945. Please note that this is only the flat rate and you may be asked to pay additional costs to cover requirements such as; health assessments, police certificates and biometrics.
If you wish to add additional family members to your application, an extra fee will be imposed upon your visa application.
The Assurance of Support also requires the assurer to pay a bond of $5,000 for the main applicant and $2,000 for each adult family member included on the application, and for each applicant over the age of 18.
WHAT STEPS SHOULD I TAKE TO APPLY FOR A 115 OR 835 VISA?
Unlike other Migration law firms, Results Migration makes the process of applying for visas straightforward. Our team of expert lawyers will work with you every step of the way and have devised a step-by-step process to ensure your application is processed as fast as possible.
1. Schedule a free consultation with our team of expert lawyers, where we will assess and advise you on the Australian visa option that best suits you.
2. At this stage, we will gather and prepare all of the documentation as well as perform any additional checks that are required to lodge a visa application.
3. We will then begin to prepare and lodge your application in a timely manner.
4. Finally, we will notify you of the outcome. If granted, you will become a permanent resident and receive the rights listed below.
ENTITLEMENTS OF THE REMAINING RELATIVE VISA
The Remaining Relative visa will grant you permanent residence in Australia. It will allow you and your eligible family members:
- The right to stay in Australia indefinitely.
- Apply for Australian citizenship once you become eligible.
- Travel to and from Australia for up to five years.
As usual with Australian visas, you must meet the health and character requirements and agree to the Australian Values Statement. Proving that your relative in Australia is the only one can be difficult, as it is often easier to show that something exists than it is to show that it doesn’t. Working with Haskew's ensures that you present your case properly to give you the best chance of success.
Each Australian visa is unique and has its own criteria for entry as well as processing times. As processing times, and fees, are set by the Australian Immigration Authority Haskew's can neither control or change them. Typically the Remaining Relative visa may take some years to complete. For more information please use our free assessment and we will contact you.
Last remaining relative
Name: This visa is currently unavailable
Description: The Australian government in recent years have tightened their borders and part of those changes include removing this as an option to emigrate. If you are a last remaining relative you may find a visa that is currently available which you qualify for today.