How to Emigrate to Singapore
Let's look at the most popular routes to emigrate to Singapore or complete our assessment to discover your eligibility. At Haskew Law, our experts advocate on our clients behalf to secure the best possible outcome, tailored to their requirements.
Singapore Work Permit
There are four main types of Singapore work visa for people looking for professional work in Singapore:
- Singapore Employment Pass (EP)
- Singapore Entrepreneur Pass (EntrePass)
- Singapore S Pass
- Personalized Employment Pass for Singapore (PEP)
Employment Visas Singapore
The Singapore Employment pass is the most common type of work permit for Singapore. To qualify for this work permit for Singapore you must have a minimum monthly salary of over S$2500 and have a degree from a good university, among other things. Lasting for up to two years, it can be renewed providing you’re still working in Singapore. Permanent residence is a possibility after a number of years on the employment pass for Singapore.
Entrepreneur Visas for Singapore
This Singapore work permit is different to the Employment Pass for Singapore as it covers owners of new companies wanting to operate their new business in the country. This Singapore work visa can last for up to two years and are also eventually eligible for permanent residency. You just have to have the correct documentation and your business must be new or less than six months old.
For information on how to open a business or trust in Singapore, you may find more information on our page for securing residence in Singapore through investment.
Singapore Employment Visas (S)
The S Pass is a type of work permit for Singapore for employees of medium skill who earn each month more than S$1,800. An S Pass applicant is assessed based the eligibility of an employer based on their quota of international workers as well as an applicant’s qualifications. Fortunately for this type of Singapore work permit, a technical diploma holds the same weight as a degree. Singapore permanent residence is available
Personalised Singapore Employment Visas (PEP)
The Personalised Employment Pass (PEP) is a method of working in Singapore that isn’t tied to a specific employer. The best part about this Singapore work permit is that you can switch jobs without having to reapply for a new employment pass. There are some limits on how long you can be jobless, and you aren’t allowed to start your own company, but the upside given the flexibility of the job market for work in Singapore is huge.
This Singapore work permit is limited to five years and is eligible for permanent residency in Singapore. If you want to work in Singapore but don’t have a particular job offer then this is the ideal visa.
There is also the P pass (P1 pass and P2 pass for Singapore) and the Q1 pass which the country grants for work in Singapore.
There are two key pathways to permanent immigration to Singapore: permanent residency in Singapore and citizenship.
The following is a rough guide to the most popular categories of Singapore pass.
Dependent pass for Singapore: The Singapore dependent pass is available for spouses and children under 21, allowing them to join the principal Singapore pass holder and live in the country.
Long-term visit pass for Singapore: This Singapore visa is also for dependants of those with P1 and P2 employment passes, which are for longer periods of time.
Social visit pass for Singapore: Although you do not need a visa for a short-term visit, there are two different assessment levels for those looking for this type of visa with various requirements to allow you to stay and visit friends and relatives.
Student pass for Singapore: If you’ve been accepted into a Singapore educational institution then you are eligible for this type of visa for Singapore. Without it, you won’t be able to study in Singapore.
Permanent Residency in Singapore
In order to be eligible for permanent Singapore immigration you must meet one of the following requirements:
- Family connection: If you are the spouse or child (under 21) of a Singaporean citizen/permanent resident, you may qualify for permanent immigration to Singapore. Aged parents of a Singaporean may also be eligible.
- Workers may be eligible for permanent Singapore immigration if they possess a P, Q or S work pass. Visit the Singapore Work Permit page for more information on working in Singapore.
- Investors/entrepreneurs may qualify for Singapore immigration is they make a significant contribution to the Singaporean economy.
- Other: Singapore may accept permanent residency applications in other special circumstances
There are three main pathways to Singaporean citizenship:
- Persons aged under 21 who have lived in Singapore for at least 2 to 6 years can apply for citizenship under Singapore immigration laws.
- The spouse of a Singapore citizen can apply for citizenship if their marriage and immigration to Singapore are more than two years old.
- Singapore immigration authorities will grant citizenship to a child born outside Singapore who has at least one Singaporean parent.
- Other special circumstances may also make you eligible for Singapore immigration
Emigrate to Singapore
Name: Singapore Visas
Description: Singapore is a popular destinations for expats due to their strong economy, high standard of living and attractive taxation policies for overseas nationals. Based in the heart of the Asian markets Singapore remains a leading destination for investors and international businesses.